All You Need to Know About Car Seats
Kids car seat is a must, so it is essential to equip your car with a car seat once the child was born. Let’s figure what are the key safety requirements for the kids’ car seats. In accordance with ECE R 44/03 Universal (Safety European Standard), there are 5 kinds of the car seats, depending on the baby’s weight.
Types of Car Seats Based on Kids’ Weight and Age
Type “0” and “0+” (age:0-1 year) – these are the carry-cots that are recommended for babies. They are equipped with special fasteners-belts for fixing on the back seat of the car. Besides, there is one wide and soft belt inside of a carry-cot to fix the baby inside. Today there is a wide range of carry-cots offered for sale that go in combination with strollers.
Type “0+” and “1” (age:0-4 years old) – the car seats of this type have the same load-bearing structure as a carry-cot, but with the different tilt positions (sleep and wake).
Type “2” and “3” (age:3-7 years old) – these car seats are equipped with inner fastener-belts and special adjustments that should be used with car safety belts. Later, as the child grows, the back of this seat may be deducted and you can go on using the seat.
Type “3” (for kids of 6-10 years)- these are just the booster cushions. They are secured with the usual car safety belts. Sometimes booster cushions are equipped with side wings to protect baby in case of side impact.
Today there are universal car seats that are already equipped with necessary parameters of the “1”, “2”, “3” types. These car seats are more practical and could be utilized for a long time.
How to Choose Proper Car Seat for Kid
When selecting the right car seat, please keep in mind the following points:
1) The car seat has to suit the weight of your baby.
2) The car seat has to have the tag that shows the accordance with the safety standards of the country, for instance ECER44-03.
3) Let your baby try the car seat. If he doesn’t find it comfortable, but you still decide to buy it, he will give you a hard time.
4) Take a thorough look at the inner fastener-belts, especially to the buckles and binding straps. Throw the handkerchief to wide strap made from soft fabrics, since it is safer in case of frontal impact.
5) The car seat has to fit in your car easily and not be overweight.
6) Collect the information about the crash-tests taken by the certain manufacturer.
Besides the general standards, some of the manufacturers equip their car seats with additional safety stuff, like Safe Side. These kinds of car seats have wide and hard sides in the upper part of the car seat.